CLAUSE AFTER AS IF, AS THOUGH, IT’S HIGH TIME, IT’S TIME, WOULD RATHER
I. Mệnh đề sau AS IF, AS THOUGH
As if, as though (như thể, dường như) đứng trước một mệnh để chỉ một điều không có thật hoặc trái thực tế).
S + V (present) + as if/ as though + S + V (past simple/ past subjunctive)
- Ex1: The old lady dresses as if it was/were winter even in the summer. (But it is not winter).
- Ex2: He behaves as though he owned the place. (But he doesn’t own it).
- Ex3: He acts as if he was/were rich. (But he is not rich).
S + V (past) + as if/ as though + S + V(past perfect)
[Chỉ 1 hành động xảy ra trước hành động ở mệnh đề chính]
- Ex4: Tom looked tired as if he had worked very hard. (But he didn’t work hard).
- Ex5: The child ate as though he had been hungry for a long time.
- Ex6: He looked as if he hadn’t taken a bath for months.
II. Mệnh đề sau IT’S TIME, IT’S HIGH TIME
It’s time, it’s high time (đã tới lúc) diễn tả thời gian mà một việc nên được làm ngay. It’s time, it’s high time thường được theo sau bằng cách mệnh đề có cấu trúc như sau:
It’s time/ It’s high time + S + V (past simple)
- Ex1: It’s high time you started to work.
- Ex2: It’s time we set out.
- Ex3: It’s high time the boy was in bed.
It’s time/ It’s high time + (for + O) + to-infinitive
- Ex4: It’s time for her to go to bed.
- Ex5: It’s time to buy a car.
III. Mệnh đề sau WOULD RATHER
Would rather (mong muốn rằng) được dùng để diễn đả nghĩa 1 người muốn người khác làm điều gì đó.
- Mong muốn ở hiện tại hoặc tương lai
S + would rather (that) + S + V (past simple/ past subjunctive)
- Ex1: Henry would rather (that) his girlfriend worked in the same department as he does. (But his girfriend doesn’t work in the same department).
- Ex2: Jane would rather (that) it wasn’t/weren’t winter now.
- Ex3: I would rather the weather was/ were fine tomorrow morning.
- Mong muốn ở quá khứ
S + would rather (that) + S + V (past perfect)
- Ex1: Roberto would rather we hadn’t left yesterday. (We left yesterday).
- Ex2: I would rather I had passed my last exam.
- Ex3: John would rather that Mary has gone to school yesterday.
- Would rather còn được dùng trong các cấu trúc sau:
S + would rather (not) + V (bare-inf)… than… (Tương lai/ Hiện tại)
- Ex1: I would rather stay at home tonight.
- Ex2: John would rather go to class tomorrow than today.
S + would rather (not) + have + V (past perfect)… than… (Quá khứ)
- Ex3: John would rather have gone to class yesterday than today.
- Ex4: Mary would rather not have gone to class yesterday.
IV. BÀI TẬP
Exercise 1: Supply the correct verb forms.
- We would rather (stay) home tonight.
- Mr Jones would rather (stay) home last night.
- We would rather (drink) coffe than tea.
- The photographer would rather that we (stand) closer together than we are standing.
- Carmen would rather (cook) for the entire family.
- She would rather you (not arrive) last night.
- John would rather he (sleep) than worked last night.
- George would rather he (be) free tomorrow.
- Mary would rather that she (not fail) the test yesterday.
- I would rather that I (invite) her to my birthday party last Sunday.
V. CHỮA BÀI TẬP